Thursday, May 10, 2012

Taken with instagram

Confession:  I've never seen James Cameron's Avatar.  Just never got around to seeing it.  It was one of those movies I wasn't super excited about, so I figured I see it eventually on Netflix or redbox at the very least.  Well, that time is now. 

I was just flipping through the channels and saw Avatar was on fx (god bless wonderful, stupid fx), during what I gather was the climatic battle scene.  My first thought was, "is it supposed to look so cartoon-y?"  Listen, I don't have a fancy tv, and maybe it looks AMAZING in HD, or maybe I did myself a disservice by not seeing it in the theater in 3-D, but man.  Totally cheesy looking.  You remember that really weird cartoon that came on in the 90's that was basically about people and robots and robot dogs living in the internet/matrix before those where real things?  It was called Reboot, and I'm pretty sure someone took a picture of Reboot with instagram and then James Cameron called it Avatar

      
Hello, 90's.















Now let me just add the Fern Gully filter and...Reboot!
It's only been three years since this thing came out!  It should not look like a 90's cartoon already.  It looks really fucking dated, is what I'm saying.  And those damn tails!  Anyway, since I only saw like the last fifteen minutes of this thing, the only comments I can make are:

1)  Reboot.
2) The colors are pretty.  Neons are very in this season.
3) The forest setting with the floating air islands is also pretty. 
4) The animals are pretty cool looking.  Digging the flying things and the galloping horse things.
5) Those TAILS!  
6) The scene with the flaming horse thing is probably supposed to be really heart wrenching, but all I can think is, "That's cool looking.  Maybe it's like a land phoenix?" 
7) Pretty.  This movie is pretty.  And now I can say I've seen Avatar



No comments:

Post a Comment