Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day Three...and Counting

So far so good. Day two was leftover baba ghanouj and dolmathes from Easa. So that was easy...and delicious. And to make it even easier, I took my dog to the dog park for a couple of hours and felt completely relaxed.

Day three wasn't hard either. I ended up hiking the 4 mile cross-country trail at the park near my apartment, something I've started doing a lot lately. The weather was gorgeous and when I finished the trail, I lay in the grass by the lake for about a half hour just enjoying the gorgeous spring weather (which seems too good to be true, by the way). But when I got home, I was hungry and was pondering what to eat. I still have some meat in my freezer. This may be a big mistake. But I loathe to throw good food away. So I'm keeping it until I can give it away (or until I give up).

I had taken to making steak alfredo over the last few months. I made it one time as a quick meal for a friend, usually using chicken but only having some steak in the house that needed to be used up. This is when I realized that steak and alfredo sauce was actually a pretty awesome combination. And last night, I was seriously considered taking that steak out of the freezer, slicing it up, marinating it, and cooking it into an alfredo sauce to lather over some penne pasta.

But I didn't. Instead, I put some olive oil in a frying pan, chopped up some onions and threw them in, sliced up some baby portobella mushrooms, and chopped some asparagus tips into one inch sections, diced a clove of garlic, added a dash of dried red pepper, threw in some alfredo sauce and layered that over penne pasta. To be honest, I didn't miss the meat at all. In fact, it was actually better without the meat since the flavors were a little less muddy.

For today, I'm planning to try Alton Brown's leek potato soup recipe. I love leek potato soup but have yet to find a recipe that rivals the flavor of the versions I had in Dublin and Killarney. But I have yet to try an Alton Brown recipe that I didn't like. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should be the one writing a veg cooking blog. You rock my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really lovely day. Nothing more to say, except thanks for sharing that soup recipe with me. NOM NOM!

    ReplyDelete