Monday, February 7, 2011

How I spent Superbowl Sunday

There was a time in my life where I would've watched the Superbowl. Where I would've felt a personal investment in the game whether I liked the teams or not, simply because I was a sports fan. I grew up in a sports watching family and at first it seemed like torture to go to a game, especially football. Hours and hours out in the hot sun or pouring rain, trying to pay attention to something I didn't understand or care about? No thanks. I remember being dragged to football games with a bag full of crayons, books to read, and My Little Ponies to play with. Some of my fondest sports related memories are of reading Beverly Cleary and Amelia Bedelia books in the stands, the sun at my back. Eventually I started paying attention and grew to enjoy the game. But this year? Nope. Didn't care. Honestly, I think I have sports burnout from years of following a team that sucks more often than not and from listening to all the shit-talk. I've barely watched any games this year and I haven't missed it. So when Superbowl Sunday rolled around all I was interested in doing was watching some of the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet and 30 Rock on Netflix. (The 30 Rock cast is my dream team and they almost always win.) This Superbowl Sunday was awesome, basically.

I started with the Puppy Bowl. It really doesn't get much better. Puppies playing, a kitten half-time show, chicken cheerleaders, hamsters in a blimp, a cute ref--and this year they added a kiss cam and shots of animal tailgating. They are really upping their game. After about an hour of Puppy Bowl I decided to try out a baked ravioli recipe from Martha Stewart. The recipe itself was pretty easy, but things got a little messy when I was trying to mix up the sauce. This may or may not be due to the fact I was drinking some beer and having a halftime dance party of my own. (Cee Lo's "Fuck You" is really catchy, you guys!) It turned out pretty tasty, despite the mess. Say what you will about Martha, but she knows her crafts and her food.

Once the ravioli was out of the oven I switched to 30 Rock and contemplated Kenneth's origin story. Seriously, have you ever thought about what his back story is? About his childhood in Stone Mountain, GA and how he got to 30 Rockefeller? Kenneth is really fascinating and frightening on top of being hilarious. Anyway, sometime in between snarting at Liz and pondering over Kenneth I fell asleep and woke up two episodes later after my friend sent me a text about the halftime show featuring The Black Eyed Peas. And wow, what a show it was. It was a medley of worst hits. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, when you thought this is the worst song I've ever heard, it got worse. And instead of having Fergie pee her pants, they just dressed her up in a fug dress and bedazzled pads while Slash trotted out to play a few bars of "Sweet Child of Mine" so she could screech along. And then there was that weird interlude with the guy that had the Max Headroom hair and Usher. I get that they have a song together, but I don't think it added anything to the overall performance. In fact, I think it just made it that much more obvious how auto-tuned everyone is. Yeesh. It seemed like I wasn't missing much, so I put the game on mute and went back to 30 Rock. And I made this:

Around the time I finished sewing on the last button I looked up to see final. Good for Green Bay. All in all, it really was a pleasant, relaxing night, and that's good by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment